Areas of Interest:
Soil borne and foliar fungal diseases of field crops, vegetables and ornamentals with emphasis on nematode and fungal pathogen interactions and host-pathogen relationships in the natural environment.
||Ph.D., Mississippi State University (Plant Pathology)
||M.S., Mississippi State University (Plant Pathology)
||B.S., New Mexico State University (Agronomy, Crop Science)
Appointment: 40% Instruction, 50% Research, 10% Extension
- 2013-Present – Professor, Auburn University
- 2004-2013 - Associate Professor, Auburn University
- 2004-Present - Associate Professor, Auburn University
- 1999-2003 - Assistant Professor, Auburn University
- 1996-1999 - Associate Professor, Northeast Louisiana University
- 1992-1996 - Assistant Professor, Northeast Louisiana University
- PLPA 3003/3004, 4 credits. Plant Pathology Distance Education - undergraduate. Survey of plant diseases with emphasis on symptoms recognition, pathogen biology, and management. Web interface medium.
- PLPA 3000, 4 credits. General Plant Pathology and Laboratory - undergraduate. Survey of plant diseases with emphasis on symptoms recognition, pathogen biology, and management. Multimedia lecture medium.
- PLPA 5060/6060, 3 credits. Plant Disease Management - undergraduate/graduate. Aspects of plant disease management including cultural practices, plant resistance, biological and chemical control and forecasting. Co-taught with Dr. Joe Kloepper.
- PLPA 5200/6200, 4 credits. Mycology and Mycology Laboratroy - undergraduate/graduate. This is a comprehensive survey of the fungi, their evolution, morphology and ontogeny of reproductive structures. The focus is on plant pathogens. Multimedia lecture medium.
- PLPA 5500/6500 Plant Nematology and Laboratory - undergraduate/graduate. Presentation of nematodes in relation to plant diseases; identification of plant parasitic nematodes; nature of pathogenicity; principles and practices of management; and recent advances in phytonematology. Multimedia lecture medium.
- PLPA 7080, 3 credits. Field Survey of Plant Pathology - graduate. Practical aspects of plant diseases under field conditions, on-site visits via field trips; discussion of experimental design for field research. Co-taught with Dr. Joe Kloepper.
Membership in Professional Organizations:
- American Phytopathological Society
- Society of Nematologists
- Organization of Nematologists of Tropical America
- Southern Soybean Disease Workers
- Beltwide Cotton Disease Council
- Gamma Sigma Delta
- Sigma Xi
- Alpha Zeta
- Dean’s Grantsmanship Award 2013, College of Agriculture, Auburn University
- Dean’s Grantsmanship Award 2012, College of Agriculture, Auburn University
- Distinguished Service Award 2011, Organization of Nematologists of Tropical America
- Syngenta Award for Research 2009, Society of Nematologists
- Editor in Chief, Nematropica 2008-2010
- President of the Cotton Disease Council 2008-2009
- Distinguished Service Award 2003, Southern Soybean Disease Workers
- Agriculture Teacher of Merit 1997, National Association of College Teachers of Agriculture
- Tom Scott Professorship 1996, 1997, 1998 Department of Agriculture, Northeast Louisiana University
- Researcher of the Year Award 1995, College of Pure and Applied Science, Northeast Louisiana University
- Castillo, J. D., Lawrence, K. S., and Kloepper, J. W. 2013. Biocontrol of the reniform nematode by Bacillus firmus GB-126 and Paecilomyces lilacinus 251 on cotton. Plant Disease 97:967-976.
- Moore, S. R. and K. S. Lawrence. 2013. The effect of soil texture and irrigation on Rotylenchulus reniformis and cotton. Journal of Nematology 45:99-105.
- K. Vijay Krishna Kumar, S. KR. Yellareddygari, M. S. Reddy, J. W. Kloepper, K. S. Lawrence, M. E. Miller, H. Sudini, E.C. Surendranatha Reddy, X. G. Zhou and D. E. Groth. 2013. Ultrastructural studies on the interaction between Bacillus subtilis MBI 600 (Integral®) and the rice sheath blight pathogen, Rhizoctonia solani. African Journal of Microbiology Research Vol. 7:2078-2086.
- Seloame T. Nyaku, Ramesh V. Kantety, Yonathan Tilahun, Kathy S. Lawrence,Khairy M. Soliman, Ernst Cebert, and Govind C. Sharma. 2013. 18S and ITS1 Genomic Sequence Variations in Rotylenchulus reniformis Isolates from Alabama. The Journal of Cotton Science 17:184–194.
- Nyaku ST, Sripathi VR, Kantety RV, Gu YQ, Lawrence K, et al. (2013) Characterization of the Two Intra-Individual Sequence Variants in the 18S rRNA Gene in the Plant Parasitic Nematode, Rotylenchulus reniformis. PLoS ONE 8(4): e60891. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0060891.
- Bennett, Rebecca S., Tamara Z. Scott, Katheryn S. Lawrence, and Gary W. Lawrence. 2013. Sequence characterization of race 4-like isolates of Fusarium oxysporum from Alabama and Mississippi. Journal of Cotton Science 17:1-6.
- Wheeler, T. A., K. S. Lawrence, D. O. Porter, W. Keeling, and B. G. Mullinix, Jr. 2013. The relationship between environmental variables and response of cotton to nematicides. Journal of Nematology 45: 8-16.
- Rothrock, C. S., S. A. Winters, P. K. Miller, E. Gbur, L. L. Verhalen, T. S. Isakeit,W. E. Batson Jr., F. M. Bourland, P. D. Colyer, T. A. Wheeler, H. W. Kaufman, G. L. Sciumbato, P. M. Thaxton, K. S. Lawrence, W. S. Gazaway, A. Y. Chambers, M. A. Newman, T. L. Kirkpatrick, J. D. Barham, P. M. Phipps, F. M. Shokes, D. R. Sumner, L. J. Littlefield, G. B. Padgett, R. B. Hutmacher, R. M. Davis, R. C. Kemerait, K. W. Seebold Jr., J. D. Mueller, and R. H. Garber. 2012. Importance of fungicide seed treatment and environment on seedling diseases on cotton. Plant Disease (In Press).
- Matsye, P. D., G. W. Lawrence, R. M. Youssef, K. Kim, K. S. Lawrence, B. F. Matthews, and V. P. Klink. 2012. The expression of a naturally occurring, truncated allele 4 of an a-SNAP gene suppresses plant parasitic nematode infection. Plant Molecular Biology DOI: 10.1007/s11103-012-9932-z.
- Moore, S. R., and K. S. Lawrence. 2012. Rotylenchulus reniformis in cotton: current methods of management and the future of site-specific management. Nematropica 42: (227-236).
- Krishna Kumar, K. V., S. KR. Yellareddygari, M. S. Reddy, J. W. Kloepper, K. S. Lawrence, X. G. Zhou, H. Sudini, D. E. Groth, S. Krishnam Raju, M. E. Miller. 2012. Efficacy of Bacillus subtilis MBI 600 against Sheath Blight caused by Rhizoctonia solani and on growth and yield of rice. Rice Science 2012 19:55−63.
- Sikora, E. J., Murphy, J. F., K. S. Lawrence, and Mullen, J. M. 2011. Survey of fungal,nematode and viral diseases of soybean in Alabama. Online Plant Health Progress. doi:10.1094/PHP-2011-1227-01-RS.
- Moore, S. R., K. S. Lawrence, F. J. Arriaga, E. van Santen, C. H. Burmester. 2011. Influence of water infiltration and root growth on the downward dispersion of Rotylenchulus reniformis. Nematropica 41: 73-79.
- Castillo, J. D., and Lawrence, K. S. 2011. First report of Catenaria auxiliaris parasitizing the reniform nematode Rotylenchulus reniformis on cotton in Alabama. Plant Disease 95:490. (http://apsjournals.apsnet.org/doi/abs/10.1094/PDIS-07-10-0524)
- Sikkens, R. B., D. B. Weaver, K. S. Lawrence, S. R. Moore, and E. van Santen. 2011. LONREN upland cotton germplasm response to Rotylenchulus reniformis inoculation level. Nematropica 41:66-72.
- Kumar, Vijay Krishna, M.S. Reddy, J.W. Kloepper, S. KR. Yellareddygari, K. S. Lawrence, X. G. Zhou, H. Sudini, M. E. Miller, R. P. Appa, R. E. C. Surendranatha, S. R. Niranjana, and N. S. Chandra. 2011. Plant growth-promoting activities of Bacillus subtilis MBI 600 (INTEGRAL®) and its compatibility with commonly used fungicides in rice sheath blight management. International Journal of Microbiology Research 3: 120-130.
- Kumar, Vijay Krishna, M.S. Reddy, S. KR. Yellareddygari, J.W. Kloepper, K. S. Lawrence, X. G. Zhou, H. Sudini, and M. E. Miller. 2011. Evaluation and selection of elite plant growth-promoting rhizobacteria for suppression of sheath blight of rice caused by Rhizoctonia solani in a detached leaf bio-assay. 2011. International Journal of Applied Biology and Pharmaceutical Technology 2:488-495.
- Kumar, Vijay Krishna, M.S. Reddy, J.W. Kloepper, K. S. Lawrence, S. KR. Yellareddygari, X. G. Zhou, H. Sudini, E.C. Surendranatha Reddy, D.E. Groth and M. E. Miller. 2011. Screening and Selection of Elite Plant Growth Promoting Rhizobacteria (PGPR) For Suppression of Rhizoctonia solani and Enhancement of Rice Seedling Vigor. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 5:641-651.
- Sekora, Nicholas S., K. S. Lawrence, P. Aguedlo, E. van Santen, and John A. McInroy. 2010. Differentiation of Meloidogyne Species with FAME Analysis. Nematropica 40: 163-175.
- Moore, S. R., K. S. Lawrence, F. J. Arriaga, C. H. Burmester, E. van Santen, 2010. Rotylenchulus reniformis dispersal patterns upon introduction into a cotton field. Journal of Nematology 42:307-312.
- Castillo, J. D., K. S. Lawrence, J. W. Kloepper, and E. van Santen. 2010. Evaluation of Drechslerella dactyloides, Drechslerella brochopaga, and Paecilomyces lilacinus for biocontrol of Rotylenchulus reniformis. Nematropica 40:71-86.
- Sekora, Nicholas S., Kathy S. Lawrence, Edzard van Santen, and John A. McInroy. 2009. Using FAME Analysis to Compare, Differentiate, and Identify Multiple Nematode Species. Journal of Nematology 41:163-173.
- Kumar, K. Vijay Krishna, M. S. Reddy, J. W. Kloepper, K. S. Lawrence, D. E. Groth, and M. E. Miller. 2009. Sheath blight disease of rice (Oryza sativa L.) - An overview. Biosciences, Biotechnology, Research Asia 6:465-480.
- Kumar, K. Vijay Krishna, S. Krishnam Raju, M. S. Reddy, J. W. Kloepper, K. S. Lawrence, D. E. Groth, M. E. Miller, H. Sudini, and Binghai Du. 2009. Evaluation of commercially available PGPR for control of rice sheath blight caused by Rhizoctonia solani. Journal of Pure and Applied Microbiology 3:485-488.
- Sikora, E. J., Delaney, D. P., Delaney, M. A., Lawrence, K. S., and Pegues, M. 2009. Evaluation of sequential fungicide spray programs for control of soybean rust. Online. Plant Health Progress doi:10.1094/PHP-2009-0402-01-RS.
- Cadena-Burkett, M., N. Kokalis-Burelle, K. S. Lawrence. E. van Santan, J. S. Kloepper. 2008. Suppressiveness of root-knot nematodes mediated by rhizobacteria. Biological Control 47: 55-59. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2008.07.008
- Deng, Dewang, A. Zipf, Y. Tilahun, G.C.Sharma, J. Jenkins and K. Lawrence. 2008. An improved method for the extraction of nematodes using iodixanol (OptiPrep Ô). African Journal of Microbiology Research Vol. 2:167-170, July, 2008. http://www.academicjournals.org/ajmr.
- Lawrence, K. S., A. J. Price, G. W. Lawrence, J. R. Jones, and J. R. Akridge. 2008. Weed hosts for Rotylenchulus reniformis in cotton fields rotated with corn in the southeast United States.Nematropica 38:13-22.
- Jones, J. R., K. S. Lawrence, and E. van Santen. 2008. Effects of container material and soil volume on Rotylenchulus reniformis and Meloidogyne incognita population development. in, Proc. "World Cotton Research Conference 4. Lubbock, TX, September 10-14, 2007. (file:///D:/data/papers/Paper1882.html)
- Lawrence, G. W., R. A. Doshi, R. L. King, K. S. Lawrence, and Jacobo Caceres. 2008.Nematode Management using Remote Sensing Technology, Self-Organized Maps and Variable Rate Nematicide Applications. in, Proc. "World Cotton Research Conference 4. Lubbock, TX, September 10-14, 2007. (file:///D:/data/papers/Paper1787.html)
- Gazaway, W. S., K. S. Lawrence, C. D. Monks, and R. Akridge. 2007 Crop rotation- an effective tool for managing reniform nematodes in cotton. in, Proc. "World Cotton Research Conference 4. Lubbock, TX, September 10-14, 2007. (file:///D:/data/papers/Paper1677.html
- Robinson, A. F., P. Agudelo, C. A. Avila, A. A. Bell, F. E. Callahan, C. G. Cook, N. D. Dighe, O. A. Gutierrez, R.W. Hayes, J. N. Jenkins, J. T. Johnson, R. Kantety, G. W. Lawrence, K. S. Lawrence, L. Mangineni, J. C. McCarty, M. A. Menz, W. A. Meredith, Jr., R. L. Nichols, R.T. Robbins, E. Sacks, B. Scheffler, G. L. Sciumbato, C. W. Smith, J. L. Starr, D. M. Stelly, S. R. Stetina, P. M. Thaxton, T. P. Wallace, D. B. Weaver, M. J. Wubben, and L. D. Young. 2008. in, Proc. "World Cotton Research Conference 4. Lubbock, TX, September 10-14, 2007. (file:///D:/data/papers/Paper1435.html)
- Weaver, D. B. K.S. Lawrence, and E. van Santen. 2007. Reniform nematode resistance in upland cotton germplasm. Crop Science 47:19-24.
- Jones, J. R., K. S. Lawrence, and G. W. Lawrence 2006. Use of winter cover crops in cotton cropping for management of Rotylenchulus reniformis. Nematropica 36: 53-66.
- Lawrence, K. S., G. W. Lawrence, and E. van Santen. 2005. Effect of controlled cold storage on recovery of Rotylenchulus reniformis from naturally infested soil. Journal of Nematology 37:272-275.
- Usery, S. R., Jr., K. S. Lawrence, G. W. Lawrence, and C. H. Burmester. 2005. Evaluation of cotton cultivars for resistance and tolerance to Rotylenchulus reniformis. Nematropica 35:121-133.
- Lawrence, K. S., Yucheng Feng, G. W. Lawrence, C. H. Burmester and S. H. Norwood. 2005. Accelerated Degradation of Aldicarb and its Metabolites in Cotton Field Soils. Journal of Nematology 37:190-197.
- Lawrence, G.W., A.T. Kelley, R. L. King, J. Vickery, H.K. Lee, and K. S. McLean. 2004. Remote sensing and precision nematicide applications for Rotylenchulus reniformis management in Mississippi cotton. Nematology Monographs and Perspectives 2: 13-21.
- Palmateer, A. J., K. S. Lawrence, E. van Santen, and G. Morgan-Jones. 2004 Interaction of Rotylenchulus reniformis with seedling disease pathogens of cotton. Journal of Nematology 36:160-166.
- Palmateer A.J., K.S. McLean, E. van Santen, and G. Morgan-Jones. 2004. Frequency and diversity of fungi colonizing tissues of upland cotton. Mycopathologia 157:303-316.
- Diez, Asdrubal, G. W. Lawrence and K. S. Lawrence. 2003. Nematode post-infection development on cotton following separate and concomitant parasitism by Meloidogyne incognita and Rotylenchulus reniformis. Journal of Nematology 35:422-429.
- Palmateer A. J., K. S. McLean, E. van Santen,and G. Morgan-Jones. 2003. Occurrence of Nigrospora lint rot caused by Nigrospora oryzae on cotton in Alabama. Plant Disease 87:873. published on-line as D-2003-0430-01N, 2003.
- Palmateer A. J., K. S. McLean, and G. Morgan-Jones 2003 Phomopsis gossypii, the causal organism of boll rot of cotton. Mycotaxon 87:157-172. Jul-Sep 2003.
- McLean, K. S. and G. W. Lawrence. 2003. Efficacy of Aldicarb to Rotylenchulus reniformis and biodegradation in cotton field soils. Journal of Nematology 35:65-72.
- Lawrence, G. W. and K. S. McLean. 2003. Foliar applications of oxamyl with aldicarb for the management of Meloidogyne incognita on cotton. Nematropica 32:103-112.
- Gazaway, G. S. and K. S. McLean. 2003. A survey of plant-parasitic nematodes associated with cotton in Alabama. The Journal of Cotton Science 7:1-7.
- Dute, R. R., M. E. Miller, M. A. Davis, F. M. Woods and K. S. McLean. 2002. Effects of Ambrosia Beetle Attack on Cercis canadensis. Journal International Assoc. of Wood Anatomists 23:143-160.
- McLean, K. S. and G. W. Lawrence. 2001. First report of Pythium root rot on grain sorghum in Mississippi. Plant Disease 85:922.
- Lawrence, G. W. and K. S. McLean. 2000. Effect of foliar applications of oxamyl with aldicarb for the management of Rotylenchulus reniformis in cotton. Annals of Applied Nematology 32:543-549.
- McLean, K. S. and G. W. Lawrence. 2000. A survey of plant-parasitic nematodes associated with cotton in Northeastern Louisiana. Annals of Applied Nematology 32:508-512.
Current Graduate Students
Justin Luangkhot, M.S. Plant Pathology. Major Professor
Tentative Thesis Title: N/A
Started Spring 2014
Projected to graduate by Fall 2015
Key accomplishments: N/A
Caroline Land, M.S. Plant Pathology
Thesis Title: Optimize management decisions for Verticillium wilt in cotton
Started Summer 2013
Projected to graduate by Summer 2015
Key Accomplishments: Awarded the 2013 Cotton Disease Council Graduate Student Paper Competition, 1 st Place; Presented a
conference paper and a conference poster in 2013.
Amber Smith, M.S. Plant Pathology
Thesis Title: Evaluation of Commercial Cotton Cultivars for Fusarium Wilt and Root-knot Nematode Resistance and the Identification of Fusarium Races Present in Alabama.
Started Spring 2013
Projected to graduate by Fall 2014
Key Accomplishments: Awarded the 2013 Cotton Disease Council Graduate Student Paper Competition, 2nd Place; Presented a
conference paper and a conference poster in 2013.
Ni Xiang, Ph.D. Plant Pathology.
Dissertation title: Biocontrol potential of Bacillus spp. on Heterodera glycines (Soybean cyst nematode) and Meloidogyne incognita
Started Fall 2012
Projected to graduate by Fall 2015
Key accomplishments: Has presented 1 conference paper and 1 conference poster.
Drew Schrimsher, M.S. Plant Pathology. Major Professor
Thesis Title: The Studies of Plant Host Resistance to the Reniform Nematode in Upland Cotton and the Effects of Bacillus firmus GB-126 on Plant-Parasitic Nematodes.
Graduated summer 2013.
Key accomplishments: Presented 5 conference papers; Publishing 1 paper from thesis; Published 10 Peer-reviewed papers; Awarded
the Outstanding MS Student in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology, Auburn University 2011- 2012.
Current position: AGRI-AFC Agronomist located in South Alabama.
Last Updated: January 16, 2014