Tips for Parents: Staying Involved
- Get involved in your child's educational experiences.
- Stay abreast of your child's schedule and courses and ask how things are going.
- Attend campus events when you're invited.
- When your child needs help, encourage her or him to contact their adviser.
- Allow your child to choose courses, decide how to spend time and learn to study. Don't expect perfection!
- Encourage your child to study abroad, participate in service-learning projects or attend social events, lectures or concerts outside his/her normal interests. A college campus provides students a safe way to step outside comfort zones and interact with other cultures and ideas. College can be a mind-opening experience!
- Resist the urge to be in touch daily. Allow your child to initiate the contact and trust that things are going well.
Last Updated: May 14, 2013