Patricia A. (Pat) Curtis
Professor and Director of Food Systems Initiative
202-A Poultry Science Building
Marcia Owens Kloepper
Specialist VI, Info Tech
Patricia A. (Pat) Curtis is a native Texan and received her Ph.D. at Texas A&M. She comes to Auburn from North Carolina State University (NCSU). Since coming to Auburn, Pat has received the Poultry Science Association's Poultry Products Research Award and the Helene Cecil Leadership award for her scientific contributions in the field of poultry science and for her leadership role in the promotional and developmental opportunities for women in the area of poultry science. Her primary responsiblities while at NCSU were to work with the poultry and egg industries. While at NCSU, Pat received the North Carolina Cooperative Extension Service Leadership Award. Prior to coming to NCSU she taught at the University of Wisconsin--River Falls. She is a Professor and the Director of the Food Systems Initiative. Pat has focused her research on quality and safety attributes of poultry and egg products.
||Ph.D., Food Science and Technology, Texas A&M
||M.S., Food Science and Technology, Texas A&M
||B.S., Home Economics Education, Texas Woman's University
Areas of interest include applied types of research on poultry and egg products relating to microbial safety, processing technology, functionality of egg products, quality control, waste water and water reuse. Other areas of interest include food laws and regulations, plant/employee safety and consumer perceptions related to food safety and acceptance of new technologies.
Teaching / Instruction:
Extension / Outreach:
Extension interests include education programs relating to needs in food quality, food safety, and process development as well as efficiency in poultry and egg processing and product technology. Work is primarily with the poultry industry, commodity organizations and when appropriate, with county extension agents.
- Curtis, P.A. 2005. Food Laws and Regulations. Blackwell Publishing Professional, 2121 State Avenue, Ames, IA 50014-8300.
- Zeidler, G. and P.A. Curtis,. 2006. Poultry Products. In: 2006 ASHRAE Refrigeration Handbook, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers, Inc.
- Curtis, P.A. 2005. “HACCP in Poultry Processing” In: Food Safety Control in the Poultry Industry. Woodhead Publishing Company, Cambridge, CB1 6AH, UK.
Selected Scientific Publications:
- Curtis, P. 2007. Microbiological challenges of poultry egg production in the US. World’s Poultry Science Journal 63(2):301-307.
- Jones. D.R., M.T. Musgrove, A.B. Caudill and P.A. Curtis. 2006. Frequency of Salmonella, Campylobacter, Listeria and Enterobacteriaceae detection in commercially cool water-washed shell eggs. Journal of Food Safety 26:264-274.
- Keener, K.M., K.C. McAvoy, J.B. Foegeding, P.A. Curtis, K.E. Anderson, and J.A. Osborne. 2006. Effect of Testing Temperature on Internal Egg Quality Measurements. Poultry Science 85:550-555.
- Eifer, J.D., P.A. Curtis, M.C. Bazaco, R.J. Meinersmann, M.E. Berrang, S. Kernodle, C. Stam, L.A. Jaykus, and S. Kathariou. 2005. Molecular Characterization of LIsteria monocytogenes of the Serotype 4b complex (4b, 4d, 4e) from two Turkey Processing Plants. Foodborne Pathogens and Diseases 2:192:200.
- Jones, D.R., M.T. Musgrove, A.B. Caudill, P.A. Curtis, and J.K. Northcutt. 2005. Microbial Quality of Cool Water Washed Shell Eggs. International Journal of Poultry Science 4(12): 938-943.
- Anderson, K.E., J.B. Tharrington, P.A. Curtis and F.T. Jones. 2004. Shell Characteristics of Eggs From Historic Strains of Single Comb White Leghorn Chickens and the Relationship of Egg Shape to Shell Strength. International Journal of Poultry Science 3(1): 17-19.
- Musgrove, M.T., D.R. Jones, J.K.. Northcutt, P.A. Curtis, K.E. Anderson, D.L. Fletcher and N.A. Cox. 2004. Survey of Shell Egg Processing Plant Sanitation Programs: Effects of Non-Egg Contact Surfaces. J. Food Prot. 67(12):2801-2804.
- Keener, K.M., M.P. Bashor, P.A. Curtis, B.W. Sheldon and S. Kathariou 2004. Comprehensive Review of Campylobacter and Poultry Processing. Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety 3:105-116.
- Bashor, M.P., P.A. Curtis, K.M. Keener, B.W. Sheldon, S. Kathariou, J.A. Osborne. 2004. Effects of Carcass Washers on Campylobacter contamination in Large Broiler Plants. Poultry Sci. 83(7):1232-1239.
- Jones, D.R., P.A. Curtis, K.E. Anderson and F.T. Jones. 2004. Microbial Contamination in Inoculated Shell Eggs: II. Effects of Layer Strain and Egg Storage. Poultry Sci. 83:95-100.
- Keener, K. M., K.E. Anderson, P.A. Curtis, and J.B. Foegeding. 2004. Determination of Cooling Rates and Carbon Dioxide Uptake in Commercially Prcoessed Shell Eggs Using Cryogenic Carbon Dioxide Gas. Poultry Sci. 83:39-94.
- Patricia Curtis. 2003. Shell Eggs: Preventing Mould Growth, (4 page bulletin) Canadian Egg Marketing Agency, Ottawa, Ontario.
- Curtis, P.A., K.E. Anderson, F.T. Jones, J.B. Tharrington, and D.R. Jones. 2003. How Much Has the Table Egg Changed Over the Last 40 Years? Xth European Symposium on the Quality of Eggs and Egg Products Proceedings, Page 254-257, September 23-26, 2003, Saint-Brieuc, France.
- Curtis, P.A. 2003. “Eggs: Processing, Inspection and Grading” In: Encyclopedia of Animal Science. Marcel Dekker, Inc, New York, NY
- Curtis, PA. 2002. Food Additives. In: Food Chemcial Safety: Volume 2: Additives. Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, CB1 6AH, UK
- Zeidler, G. and P.A. Curtis,. 2002. Poultry Products. In: 2002 ASHRAE Refrigeration Handbook, American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-conditioning Engineers, Inc.
- Curtis, P.A. Holiday Food Safety. 2002. The Alabama Poultry Monthly. Vol 2(12):11.
- Curtis, Patricia. 2001. Processing and Egg Temperature. Egg Industry 106(11):1,8.
- Keener, K.M., J.D. LaCrosse, B.E. Farkas, P.A. Curtis and K.E. Anderson. 2000. Gas exchange into shell eggs from cryogenic cooling. Poultry Sci. 79:1067-1071.
- Keener, K.M., J.D. LaCrosse, P.A. Curtis, B.E. Farkas, and K.E. Anderson. 2000. Gas exchange into shell eggs before and after cryogenic cooling. J. Poult. Sci. 79:275-280.
- Sheldon, B., Curtis, P. and P. Dawson. 2000. Innovations at the Millennial International Poultry Exposition. Meat Processing. Vol 39(4):52,54,56-60,63.
- Curtis, Patricia A. 1999. Shell eggs processing: past and present. World Poultry. November Supplement, pp. 25-27.
- Curtis, Patricia A. 1999. Effect of HACCP regulations on water usage in processing plants. Poultry Processing Worldwide (July):A-B,D.
- Sheldon, B.W., P.A. Curtis, and P.L. Dawson. 1999. Gone to the Birds. Meat Processing North American Edition 38(4):43-46,8,49-50.
Related Web Links:
Last Updated: March 10, 2013