History

Auburn University was chartered in 1856 and was given land-grant status in 1872. The largest university in Alabama, Auburn has an enrollment of more than 24,000 students. In keeping with its land-grant status, the University has the College of Agriculture, the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station, and the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service. The fisheries program is part of each of these units.

Research in inland fisheries and aquaculture began in 1933 by a team of three scientists headed by Dr. H.S. Swingle. Their program focused on the construction and management of Alabama farm ponds for recreation and for food production. When the first formal courses in inland fisheries and aquaculture were offered in 1946, a “hands-on” approach was adopted for teaching. This practice   has continued to the present.

The Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures celebrated the 100th anniversary of Dr. H. S. Swingle’s birth in 2002.The Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures and the International Center for Aquaculture and Aquatic Environments (ICAAE) have grown since their inception in 1970. Today, the Department of Fisheries and Allied Aquacultures has one of the largest graduate programs on campus.

Historical Links

203 Swingle Hall | Auburn, Alabama 36849 | (334) 844-4786 |
Website Feedback | Privacy | Copyright ©