College/AAES Honor Top Faculty and Staff for 2013
Six Auburn University College of Agriculture faculty members earned top awards from the college and the Alabama Agricultural Experiment Station in recognition of their outstanding efforts in teaching, advising, research and outreach in 2013, including:
- Joe Eakes, professor of horticulture, 2013 Dean’s Awards for Teaching Excellence;
- Dale Coleman, associate professor of animal sciences, 2013 Dean’s Award for Advising Excellence;
- Oladiran Fasina, professor of biosystems engineering, 2013 Director's Senior Research Award;
- Stephen "Ash" Bullard, assistant professor of fisheries and allied aquacultures, 2013 Director's Junior Research Award;
- Walt Prevatt, professor ofagricultural economics and rural sociology, 2013 Dean's Senior Award for Excellence in Extension and Outreach; and
- John Fulton, associate professor of biosystems engineering, 2013 Dean's Junior Award for Excellence in Extension and Outreach.
Fourteen faculty members who received at least $250,000 each in extramural grants and contracts over the course of the year received 2013 Grantsmanship Awards, including:
- Patricia Curtis, director, Auburn University Food Systems Institute;
- Christy Bratcher, associate professor, animal sciences;
- Steve Taylor, professor and department head, biosystems engineering;
- Puneet Srivastava, professor, biosystems engineering;
- Sushil Adhikari, associate professor, biosystems engineering;
- Henry Fadamiro, professor, entomology and plant pathology;
- Joseph Kloepper, professor, entomology and plant pathology;
- Kathy Lawrence, associate professor, entomology and plant pathology;
- Ed Sikora, professor, entomology and plant pathology;
- Sam Fowler, associate professor, agricultural economics and rural sociology;
- Allen Davis, professor, fisheries and allied aquacultures;
- Terry Hanson, associate professor, fisheries and allied aquacultures;
- Carol Johnston, associate professor, fisheries and allied aquacultures;
- Bill Walton, assistant professor, fisheries and allied aquacultures; and
- Eric Peatman, assistant professor, fisheries and allied aquacultures.
Kyung Yoo, professor of biosystems engineering, received the 2013 Richard L. Guthrie Award for Achievement in International Agriculture in recognition of his distinguished achievement in international teaching, research, extension and outreach.
Curtis Jolly, professor of agricultural economics, was recognized as recipient of the 2013 High Impact Paper of the Year Award.
The College of Agriculture’s 2013 Project Team Award was presented to a faculty and staff at the Marine Research and Extension Center in Dauphin Island for their collaborative efforts in developing an off-bottom oyster culture industry on Alabama’s Gulf Coast. Team members include:
- Bill Walton, assistant professor, fisheries and allied aquacultures;
- F. Scott Rikard, natural resources program manager, Marine Research and Extension Center; and
- Glen Chaplin, advisor, Marine Research and Extension Center.
Among staff members, winners of 2013 Employee of the Year Awards included Barney Wilborn, Lambert-Powell Meats Lab manager, in the professional/managerial category; Kathleen Dowdell, lead administrative assistant in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Sociology, in the administrative support arena; L.B. Cox, ag technician at the E.V. Smith Research Center, in the service/maintenance/skilled worker division; and entomology and plant pathology research associate Jennifer Parker in the teaching/research/outreach professional category.
Winner of the 2013 Diversity Award was Amanda Martin, student services coordinator.
Click here to view our 2012 award winners.
Click here to view our 2011 award winners.
Last Updated: Dec. 19, 2012