J. Wayne Brewer
360 Funchess Hall
- Areas of Interest:
- Forest Insect-Plant Interactions, Influence of plant nutrition on phytophagous insects, gall-forming insects.
- B.S. 1963, Biology, Central Michigan University (Cum Laude)
- M.A. 1965, Zoology, Central Michigan University
- Ph.D. 1968, Entomology, Purdue University
- 2006-Present, Professor Emeritus, Department of Entomolgoy, Auburn Univeristy
- 1995-2006, Professor, Department of Entomology, Auburn University, and Coordinator, Alabama Gypsy Moth Survey Program
- 1987-1995, Professor and Head, Department of Entomology, Auburn University
- 1992-1993, Acting Associate Dean, International Programs, Auburn University
- 1984-1987, Professor and Head, Department of Entomology, Montana State University
- 1968-1984, Assistant Professor, Associate Professor (1973) and Professor (1979) Entomology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins
Honors and Awards:
- Faculty Teaching Award - Montana State University Honors Program - 1987.
- Who's Who in Teaching - Who's Who in America's Teaching Publication - 1998.
- Alumni Undergraduate Teaching Excellence Award - Auburn University - 1999
- Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence - Auburn University - 2000
- Distinguished Teaching Award - Entomological Society of America, Southeastern Branch - 2001
- NACTA - National Teaching Fellow Award - 2002
- NACTA - National Teaching Award of Merit - 2003
- Extramural Funding Award - Alabama Cooperative Extension System - 2003, 2004, 2005
- 1996 NATO Travel award to Prague, Czech Republic
- 1987: U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Ceske Budejovice, Czechoslovakia, July-August 1.
- 1983: U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Prague, Czechoslovakia, May - September.
- 1983: Visiting Scientist, Laboratoire de Cecidologie, Louis Pasteur Universite, Strasbourg, France, October - January.
- 1979: U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Prague, Czechoslovakia, May - September.
- 1978: U.S. National Academy of Science Exchange Scientist, Prague, Czechoslovakia, May - June.
- Past Associate Editor - Southern Journal Applied Forestry, resigned 2006
- Co-Contributing Editor, American Entomologist, Entomological Society of America, resigned 2006
- Board of Directors, Organization for Tropical Studies, resigned 2006
- Past Chairman, CSRS Southern Regional Advisory Committee 12
- Brewer, J.W., K.M. O'Neill and R.E. Deshon, Jr. 1987. Effects of artificially altered foliar nitrogen levels on development and survival of young instars of western spruce budworm. Z. agnew. Entomol. 104:121-130.
- Brewer, J.W. and V Skuhravy. 1989. Survey of major foliar chemicals in insect-induced galls. Cecid. Inter. 3:65-74.
- Birch, M.L., J.W. Brewer, O. Rohfritsch. 1992. The Effect of Gall Formation on the Host Plant. Chapter 17. In: Biology of Insect and Acarina Induced Galls. J.D. Shorthouse and O. Rohfritsch (Eds.) Oxford Press, New York, 285 p.
- Skuhravy, V., M. Skuhrava and W. Brewer. 1993. The saddle gall midge, Haplodiplosis marginata (Diptera: Cecidomyidae) in the Czech Republic and the Slovac Republic. Act. Soc. Zool. Bohem. 57:117-137.
- Brewer, J.W., V. Skuhravy and Pavel Hrubik. 1994. Levels of major foliar chemicals in needles of Pinus mugo in Bohemian peat bogs. Ekol. Bratislava 13 (3) 235-246.
- Skuhravy, V., M. Skuhrava and J.W. Brewer. 1996. Some survival adaptations of gall-inducing midges (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae). J. Appl. Ent. 120:237-239.
- Skuhravy, V., M. Skuhrava and J.W. Brewer. 1997. Gall midges (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) associated with Populus tremula, P. tremuloides and their hybrid (Salicaceae). J. Appl. Ent. 121:315-320.
- Hrubik, P., V. Skuhravy and J. W. Brewer. 1998. Susceptibility of 10 Taxa of Boxwood (Buxus spp.) to attacks of the gall midge Monarthropalpus flavus Shrank, (M. buxi Lab.) (Diptera: Cecidomyiidae) in 8-year Experiments. Acta horticulurae et regiontecturae 2:. 33-35.
- Eager, T. A., C. W. Berisford, M. J. Dalusky, D.G. Nielsen, J. W. Brewer, S. J. Hilty and R. A. Haack. 2002. Susceptibility of some southern pines to the larger pine shoot beetle, Tomicus pinipera (L) Coleoptera:Scolytidae. J. Econ. Entomol. Submitted.
- DeBarr, G. J., J. W. Brewer, C. W. Berisford and M. Dalusky. 2002. Pheromone traps for the Nantucket Pine Tip Moth Rhyacionia frustrana (Comstock). U.S.F.S. p Moth Rhyacionia frustrana (Comstock). U.S.F.S. General Technology Report. SRS - 51.
World Wide Web Publications:
The Nantucket pine tip moth (Rhyacionia frustrana) (left),
Adult subtropical pine tip moth (Rhyacionia subtrepica) (above),
courtesy of The University of Georgia Southern Cooperative
http://www.ag.auburn.edu/enpl/courses/cover.htm - OLD SITE
|Laura Brewer Davis received her BFA (Painting) from Colorado State University in 1988. She currently works as a graphics artist in Chapel Hill, NC.
1987 Acrylic Painting
by Laura Brewer Davis