Ph.D., 1990, Colorado State University (Range Science/Ecology)
MS, 1979, Louisiana State University (Agronomy)
BS, 1976, Louisiana State University (Agronomy: Crop Science)
1997 - Present: Associate Professor, Auburn University
1993 - 1997: Assistant Professor, Auburn University
1992 - 1993: Assistant Professor, University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Brief description of research program and goals
My research program focus is ecological physiology of forage plants and grazing lands community and ecosystem ecology.
Current research objectives
1) Quantify the impacts of overseeded cool-season legumes and intercropped warm-season legumes on plant community and soil quality characteristics of longleaf pine (Pinus palustris Mill.) silvopasture with exotic or indigenous warm-season perennial grass components following the first tree pruning (tree growth year 7).
2) a. Quantify distribution and behaviors of cattle and impacts on forage utilization and soil quality in longleaf pine-bahiagrass (Paspalum notatum Flueggé) silvopasture following the first tree pruning (tree growth year 7), and in mature loblolly-pine (Pinus taeda L.)–bahiagrass silvopasture following the final thinning (tree growth year 21) compared to open-pasture landscapes using visual observation and GPS-equipped livestock collars; b. relate cattle distribution and behaviors to differences in microclimatic conditions between silvopasture and open-pasture.
Brief description of outreach program and goals
My outreach program focus is ecological physiology of crop plants. My main focus is education and technology transfer in ecological physiology of both native and introduced perennial pasture grasses and environmental quality of grazing lands.
|Honors and Awards:
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture/Auburn University College of Agriculture Teaching Award of Merit, 2003
- College of Agriculture Dean's Award for Teaching Excellence, Auburn University, December 2002
- Outstanding Leadership Award , Alabama Chapter Soil and Water Conservation Society, July 2000
- Early-Career Award in Teaching, Southern Branch American Society of Agronomy, 1998
- Auburn Agronomy Club Outstanding Teacher of the Year, Auburn University 1996
|Professional Societies Membership:
- Society for Range Management
- North American Colleges and Teachers of Agriculture
- Association for Temperate Agroforestry
- Phi Kappa Phi
- Sigma Xi
- Member, Core Curriculum-General Education Committee, Auburn University, 2009 - Present
- Member, University Core
Curriculum Oversight Committee,
Auburn University, 2003-2009
- Member, Young Crop Scientist Award Committee, Crop Science
Society of America, 2003-2005.
- Member, Crop Science Research Award Committee, Crop Science Society of America, 1998-2000.
- Chair, College of Agriculture Teaching Improvement,
Committee, Auburn University, 1998-2000
- Member, National Crop Science Teaching Award Committee, Crop Science Society of America, 1995-1997;
||Advanced Crop Science